Translate

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Homestead First aid : DIY Antiseptic ointment (Petroleum free and natural)

Hello Lovelies, Taz here! I know its been awhile since I have posted, lots has been going on, our entire household has had a horrible stomach virus and its been kicking our butts, but I have still been working on getting ready to go on a vacation! YAY.  I might make a post about what I am packing for emergency supplies on that trip.. and we are going camping so.. some of it is for that.. But now for what this post is about.. ANTISEPTIC OINTMENT!




I will have a Homestead First Aid DIY section, and I will be posting alternatives to store brand stuff that is usually Petroleum based.. I HATE PETROLEUM JELLY! IT IS HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE For your skin! It is Horrible for YOU. Would you put gasoline on your lips? no? then don't put petroleum Jelly on your lips.. or anywhere else.. I will post a Petroleum free salve type skin thing soon.. but this one is for well you saw.


EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED :

A Container to put your oils and wax into, I used a Mason jar, a measuring cup will work, anything that will hold the oils and is microwave safe, or oven safe..




A Scale that you can tare or Null out. . I have one I got at walmart years ago for 10 dollars, I think everyone should keep a scale on hand for MANY reasons.





A Microwave, or stove top I used the Microwave for convenience.

Containers to put your ointment in!  I used little ones I got 10 for a dollar because saving money is good.



Paper Towels or a rag because this gets messy 



and something to stir with.

Now on to the next thing 

INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED 


1 1/2 ounce Beeswax (I use Pellets typically but you can grate your own) 




2 Ounces Sweet Almond Oil 



Two Ounces Calendula Infused Olive oil



4 Ounces Olive oil 



1/4 Tsp Vitamin E  (DON'T USE CAPSULES.. that's not actually vitamin E usually. )



1/2 Tsp Tea Tree essential  oil


20 Drops Lavender essential oil


10 Drops Lemon Essential oil







Alright.. do you have everything Gathered? good.  The next parts are SOOOO SOO EASY

Add your grated or pellet beeswax to your container.

Add your Sweet almond oil, your Calendula infused olive oil, and your Olive oil..

Stir..

Put in microwave.. Microwave in 30 second burst.. and stir very well in between (or alternatively place in a container in a double boiler.. or create a double boiler.. but really microwave is much easier)  For me it took 3 30 second burst.. wax melted quite well into the oil..

 bring it over to where all your stuff is..

wipe off the edge of your container..

stir and stir.. and stir some more till its still hot to touch but not burn your skin off hot.

Add your essential oils..

Stir some more.. (lots of stirring isn't there)

Open your containers.. and carefully pour to your desired level of fullness.

Let cool.. and VOALA  you have Antiseptic ointment.




It will set up to a nice thick ointment that looks like this




Happy creating.. I created 2 years worth of ointment in about 10 minutes total.. that includes gathering equipment, mixing, pouring, and cleaning

Thank you for joining me.. I will be posting a post about calendula ointment next!

No comments:

Post a Comment