Translate

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Free Grow Bags!

Good morning from Little Minion Farm and a Happy Mother's Day!
So, yesterday I was sitting outside contemplating our garden. I had seed potatoes that I hadn't yet planted, 20 of them to be exact. I didn't have enough 5 gallon buckets for all of them and the colorful makeshift containers I've been using for our garden this year just were not big enough for potatoes.
The first solutions that came to mind was simply buying more buckets or investing in some grow bags. However, I'm a penny pincher, I don't like spending money if I don't have to and this helps keep our little boat afloat.
I did some looking around to see what others had come up with. I found some who had sewn their own bags, very cool but I'm not a sewing person and no longer have a machine. Then I came across a guy who had made his bags from plastic grocery sacks. Placing 3 to 4 bags inside one another, genius. However this method would still not be big enough because with potatoes you want a fair amount of depth.
After some thought I remembered we have a ton of old dog food bags that we've been saving for a different project that I haven't gotten to as of yet. Ah ha! I grabbed a few bags, learning on my second bag it adds a bit of stability if you turn the bags inside out. I flattened the bottoms out on the ground a bit, making it a bit more rounded and punched some holes in the bottoms with my pocket knife. Then I put 3 to 4 inch of potting mix in the bags, placed my potatoes and covered them with another 3 to 4 inches of my mix. Placed the bags where I wanted them and s watered! They're not the prettiest, but they were free and it suits my needs, that's a win in my book.

2 comments:

  1. So the potatoes will grow inside the bags? If so, that's pretty neat. I never knew you could grow them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep they will grow inside the bags, and they will do it weed free.

    ReplyDelete