Translate

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Triumphs & Setbacks

I've been wanting to make another post, I just am not sure what everyone wants to hear about and I haven't had much time the last week to think about much. My oldest's prom was last weekend, this weekend she had Miss Rising Star and sadly she did not win, but that's okay, she was still the awesomest! Being the end of the school year, it's been busy with kid stuff. If anyone has any specific questions or wants to see certain content, let me know! As for today's post, triumphs and Setbacks, you're going to experience both in gardening (or homesteading in general for that matter), it's just a fact of life, so i wanted to share some of my most recent.

The picture that you see is one of those Setbacks. Our cats (I'm guessing), decided to be cute and knock over all the planters on my rack. I wasn't to thrilled at all. But I managed to save most of the plants. We will have to replant our backup carrots and might have lost some lettuce and spinach plants. I discovered the destruction yesterday morning and this morning found another one knocked over. So today if I have the chance (our oldest 3 are getting ready to leave for a band field trip), I'm going to see if I can't find a way to keep the planters in place!

I discovered today that most of the compost pile we started just a couple of months ago has broken down already! It seems a silly thing to get excited over, however it's the first time we've tried doing our own compost and I honestly didn't feel like I knew what I was doing. So now that I've seen it's working, I might start a bigger pile!

This morning I discovered that our red potatoes are sprouting, so yay! And our stick garden is springing to life!

So far we've had more success than problems (knocks on wood), though I have a few problems to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment